Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Home school kids are weird

Well, isn't that what you say when you think home schooling? I've said it. I've said it about my own children. *gasp*!
Dictionary.com defines weird this way;
1. involving or suggesting the supernatural,
2. fantastic; bizarre

Well, unless you're saying kids who are home schooled are supernatural, which from a godly perspective that is great, then you must be saying that these kids are fantastic.
Which I'm guessing is not the meaning behind the " home school kids are weird" comment. At least it wasn't my intention at first.

You see as we have gone on this adventure for the past 3 years, I have had all sorts if comments and concerns. Rightly so since home schooling is different. Different. There's another word thrown around when talking about home schooled kids. As I have watched my children grow in the past 3 years it has amazed me that what I thought was weird, really IS weird, but in the true sense of the weird. Fantastic and supernatural! My goal when I had kids was never to help them fit in. Or to help them be "normal". My husband and I have always been far from that. Hence the mismatched socks on Marck and the blue or pink hair I'd sport from time to time. Or the disdain we have for credit cards and would rather go without than have it now and be in debt. Being different has it's perks. No one expects you to be like them. They almost freak out if you do anything mainstream. However, when you pull something on your community like pull your kids out of school you're bound to get a bit more grief than if you'd just colored your hair pink and worn mismatched socks to the Kroger.

Weird. Here's how my kids are weird. Yesterday they played bookstore. Before that they turned out whole house into a train, complete with compartments and a dining car. (we've recently taken a train ride). For a halloween party they made their own costumes. weeeeird.
They have recently built a whaling ship out of Legos, from learning about Japan a few weeks back, last week Canon made a Parthenon out of playdoh. Greece you know. They have also painted laying on their backs after learning about Michelangelo and this week since we are studying Germany they have been playing Lego castles.

Their play isn't mainstream I guess.  They don't berate each other for being different, instead encourage each other's ideas. This is something I am deeply grieved about when I hear other kids do that. They build each other up and protect each other. Their whole world is learning and growing and becoming better people for the community around them. They have a desire for the lost in our world and the ones who are hurting. They think about heaven, a lot, and they wonder when they will get to go there. They are not concerned with other people think about them.

The word weird has taken on a whole new meaning for me. The appropriate meaning. I love that my kids wear clothes that make them look a step away from homeless, or at least blind. I love to see them express themselves with abandon. It tickles me to hear them dream of living in Thailand because it sounds like a place you wear ties, or to pray they get to see a real castle someday soon. I'd rather they be "weird" and dream and create and grow and become fantastic people than to mold into mainstream and be lifeless and dull. My guess is Einstein, Lincoln, the Wright brothers, Amelia and all the rest of those lovely people were considered weird. And truly they were fantastic! Aren't you glad they were?

No comments:

Post a Comment