Monday, April 11, 2011

Glad you were there for me on a Sunday

As we drove to church this past Sunday I was wondering to myself why people have to work on Sundays. Even if you're not a church goer Sunday should be a day of rest, for everyone. A day to just be with family whether it's church family or immediate family. I wondered that particularly as I drove down the Tollway and saw these poor workers slaving away on yet another road project. Texas used to look so pretty until they started jacking up the roads because of all those California people moved here. :-) Oh well, we live in an age where things get done or purchased no matter what day it is, without regard for resting or family time. 
I was thinking maybe I'll just stop shopping on Sunday all together. Really rarely do I need to anyway so just make it a blanket never again! That's it, no more supporting those heathen's who keeps stores and other businesses open on Sundays!
We roll into the parking lot, freakishly early I might add, which is a miracle in itself. Have you ever tried to wrangle 6 people to church by 8:30a.m.? It's a feat! We turn off the car start out when we hear," I DON"T HAVE ANY SHOES!". No she didn't. Our little bohemian who is hard pressed to throw shoes on in the first place is at church in a pretty dress, sans shoes. The crazy part is, it's not the first time she has gone somewhere and forgotten shoes. I have told her in the past to keep a spare in the car! I can't even get mad at this point because it's so ridiculous. It's so our life! Back on the seat belts go and we're off to find any place open this early to by her flip flops. Now had we been in Los Angeles, we could have bought some off of a homeless guy. But here in Fancy Pants Texas you are not likely to find that kind of luck.
First Marck thinks we should head to a gas station and just get the summer flip flops they sell. You know the kind, maybe with a Budweiser simple on it. Here's me, um let's try Target first. We pull our minivan into the parking lots and well what do you know, it's open! I can't believe I doubted it would be. After all up the road there are a bunch of guys working on the highway Target better be open. 
I can't believe after only 10 minutes of my resolution to send a message and not shop on Sundays here I am buying my hippie a pair of shoes so I don't die of shame at church! Damn the luck. 
I wish I could wrap this up with some clever moral, some word from the Lord that I got while standing in line. I wish I could say I won't shop on Sundays. I can't because we all know where that got me. I got nothin'. Nope, just a $10 pair of summer shoes and a funny Sunday story. So glad Target has no regard for the Sabbath.

4 comments:

  1. You're just lucky that Target didn't hear about your resolution. Target would have been all up in your bizzness! "I don't think so Jen Weir! You don't like stores that are open on Sunday!" Then this "How you like me now?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
    HAAAAAAA!!!!
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
    Just as funny now as when I heard the story on Sunday right after the shoe purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That made me laugh, and truth be told on many occasions I have thought about banning any shopping or activity on Sunday that does not involve time with my family. yeah, well, that is totally unrealistic. Ironically, we spend tons of time apart on Sundays, participating in various activities with our church. I love my church family too-don't get me wrong, but we often spend a lot of time apart when I wish we could be together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jen, I love hearing about things that are "so your life"! This is just an example of the things we say that we "always/never" will do - that always come back to bite us in the hiney!! Also? I choose to "observe the Sabbath" on Saturdays because who in their right minds goes anywhere in Frisco that they don't absolutely have to on the weekends????? ;)

    ReplyDelete