Wednesday, May 11, 2011

In and Out...What is that Hamburger All About?

As most of you know I have waited with baited breath for In and Out to open. I promise you when I tell you that I have prayed for one to come to Texas, believe me I  have PRAYED. I also prayed for Trader Joe's to come and looky here! It's coming!! Never underestimate the power of prayer.
Sorry, I digress. So here we are opening day! Most of you from TX are wondering what's the big deal anyway? Why are all the West Coast folks so crazy excited that we would consider or even really go camp out a night before? Well I'm here to give you my reasons for excitement.
I have heard people say, " oh that place isn't that good!" Before I haul off and slap them smartly about the head I have to remember In and Out is not really about the food. It's all about the experience and if you didn't grow up in CA you likely will not appreciate the burger. The menu itself is a work of art in it's simplicity. There are few things on the menu. Hamburgers, fries, sodas and shakes. That's it. There is the "secret" menu. For heaven's sake it's not a secret menu already! It's just that if you haven't been going to In and Out for a hundred years you don't know there are other options. Like going to Starbucks and not knowing you can order a short cup rather than tall. You would however know that if you've been going to Starbucks since you were a young girl fresh out of high school, wide eyes at the opportunity to buy a beautiful cup of coffee any time you wanted.
Digressing again.
Also with the menu is the items on the menu are not gross and laden with grease, oil or mayo. WHATABURGER! That is just sick and wrong. Everything is fresh as a daisy. The lettuce, the tomato the bun, oh that toasty bun. Everything is just crispy fresh.
After the menu is the little tiny scripture verses printed on the bottoms of the cups. Just the reference, like John 3:16. I just LOVE that! I love that they are willing to put something wonderful on their product that might get people pointed to God. Love love love it!
Lastly you have the whole experience. After a day at the beach, you see the palm trees and the familiar red and white checkered tile in the distance and you think, " nothing would finish this amazing day at the beach like a double double washed down by a Coke!" You walk in, the people are so friendly and patient as you hem and ha over animal style or plain. They have those cute aprons with the ENORMOUS safety pin holding them on. I love those! Or after a long night at work and you really could use a good yummy burger... In and Out is there for you.
So that's it. As you stand in line for 3 hours today or drive by thinking those  people are stone cold crazy, remember it's a memory we are capturing. It's a taste of something that is just not available in the great American Fat Lands. For those of us who have longed for it for years and years, please let us have our moment without the criticism. We have put up with nasty grease burgers for so long. Let us enjoy our beautiful burgers and fries. And no, Mooyah's is not the same, and neither is GoGo burger. Just a sad not so cheap  imitation.
Happy In and Out day everyone!!

3 comments:

  1. I will give your In-n-Out Day. But only one day. Then I will come down on your In-n-Out like the wrath of God!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, hilarious! Did they pay you for this ad??

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, were you praying for a closer Costco too? Hope you had a Happy In and Out Day!

    ReplyDelete